Best Value in Wireless Keeps Getting Better
Bellevue, Wash. — Oct. 23, 2003
Capping off a year in which T-Mobile USA has shifted its focus from building out major new markets to further enhancing its quality in areas of existing coverage, the company announced today a series of related quality enhancement efforts – including signing on as the first carrier to use “pico-basestations” to improve coverage inside buildings.
The new technology - the world's smallest basestation, the nanoBTS - has been developed by ip.access based in Cambridge, England, a subsidiary of TTP Communications plc. It uses a building’s existing Ethernet infrastructure to enable the nanoBTS stations to deliver service in a “pico-point” to where the service is actually needed. Deployment will begin this year.
These pico-basestations join a long list of other planned enhancements T-Mobile is currently making to its nationwide GSM network:
- Increasing spending on quality specific enhancements within its existing footprint by over 300%;
- Adding 1,000 new macro-sites in the remaining months of this year;
- Deploying new AMR “vocoder” equipment in the fourth quarter of this year to improve call quality across the national network;
- Conducting a massive network optimization program in major markets to enhance calling experiences in metropolitan areas;
- Adding roaming partnerships that extend coverage beyond major cities and into rural towns and highway corridors;
“These enhancements make the best value in wireless even better for all T-Mobile customers; and the pico-basestations build on that to provide superior coverage on corporate campuses and to major buildings so that choosing T-Mobile gets to be an even easier decision for America’s businesses,” said Tim Wong, T-Mobile’s CTO and executive vice president.
He added, “We want to create even more value and our Get More® promise to customers is how we’ll do that. Get More® means:
- Simple, affordable, industry-leading rate plans for voice and data, including flat rate pricing for unlimited email and web browsing;
- First-to-market products like the T-Mobile SidekickTM and tri-band color Blackberry®
- The only major all-GSM network in America, built on the most dominant wireless network standard in the world, and acknowledged by independent researchers as having the nation's best sound quality;
- Top-rated customer service among the six major national carriers;
- The largest carrier owned and operated Wi-Fi network in the country (over 3,000 locations and growing weekly) with affordable, simple and flexible rate plans;
- International roaming agreements in more than 110 countries -- rates as low as 99 cents a minute.
T-Mobile USA Media Relations
About T-Mobile USA, Inc.
Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile USA, Inc. is the U.S. wireless operation of Deutsche Telekom AG. By the end of the first quarter of 2010, approximately 150 million mobile customers were served by the mobile communication segments of the Deutsche Telekom group - 33.7 million by T-Mobile USA - all via a common technology platform based on GSM and UMTS, the world's most widely used digital wireless standards. T-Mobile USA's innovative wireless products and services help empower people to connect to those who matter most. Multiple independent research studies continue to rank T-Mobile among the highest in numerous regions throughout the U.S. in wireless customer care and call quality. For more information, please visit http://www.T-Mobile.com. T-Mobile is a federally registered trademark of Deutsche Telekom AG.